Thread: Arbor and miter slot not in alignment on my Delta Contractors table saw

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Arbor and miter slot not in alignment on my Delta Contractors table saw

I'm considering doing some alignment on my Delta Platinum Edition Contractor's saw (36-475). I checked it today and it's withing .003" of perfect but thought the practice of doing it for when I really need to might be good. I found a previous thread here where some people highly recommended PALS. Sounds like it could make it pretty simple and easy but after reviewing this http://www.newwoodworker.com/algntruns.html I had some questions about how PALS works and concerns.

I also wanted to get some thoughts from people who've aligned their saw blade/arbor to the miter slots. The link above suggests removing the drive belt before performing the alignment. How necessary is that? I understand that virtually everything could impact the alignment like loosening the trunnion bolts, tightening the trunnion bolts, removing the drive belt, replacing the drive belt, etc. Just seems like performing the alignment with the drive belt on would be easier. The link above also mentions loosening the front trunnion bolts and why that's important. The PALS video doesn't require that and it made me wonder if there's much danger to breaking/cracking one of the front trunnions using PALS because they made it sound like it's happened to more than a few who tried to adjust the rear trunnion and didn't loosen the front trunnion bolts.

Anyway, I'd appreciate thoughts on what people have found works best and is most accurate AND easiest. I feel really comfortable right now being under .003" but I think this is good stuff to know and have experience doing.

PS Just noticed the title. When I started this thread earlier today my alignment appeared to be off .011-.012". That measurement was due to some slop in how I'd setup my dial indicator. Once I fixed that I had less than .003" as noted above.

Thanks as always!
    Mike
    Last edited by Mike Manning; 01-12-2017 at 8:55 PM.