Thread: Questions about home drum sanders.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Questions about home drum sanders.

I'm building a drum sander because I cant afford one. Right now I've got a .5hp 17xxrpm motor and I'm looking for a 1 or 1.5hp one. What I'm really curious about is the table. I've watched about a dozen videos and find it split on whether I need a conveyor or not. Some say the feed rate is so critical that you'll never evenly thickness without a conveyor but half of the machines I see just use a push stick to push it through. The other half of the machines have a conveyor that is either motorized or hand cranked. Obviously hand fed, no motor would be the cheapest/easiest to build. I'm looking to thickness end grain cutting boards and small pieces. I know I could cobble a treadmill and I'm on the lookout for one. I don't like to complicate things though.

So here's the rub... Do I need a conveyor or not? If I need a conveyor will motorized or will hand cranking be fine for the feed rate discrepancies? Those who have made one or the other let me know if you would have done it differently.

Thanks
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-19-2017 at 9:54 AM.