I noticed this issue of Wood magazine awarded the tip of the week to a person who came up with an elegant way to ground PVC ductwork. The problem is that you cannot bleed a charge off a non-conductive surface unless you have a grounded conductive material that covers the entire surface.

Even if you cover the entire surface of the ductwork, the static charge of concern is being generated on the inside of the ductwork. Running a grounded wire or a strip of conductive tape along the inside of the PVC ductwork will not work either.

If you are really concerned with static charge buildup and discharge, you are going to have to use ducting that is conductive (i.e., metal ductwork)

I am tempted to propose to WOOD to write an article for them explaining the science (based on experience in the aerospace industry (including analyzing propellant casting and handling)

Does anyone have any experience with WOOD and whether they would be receptive of such an article? Or is the grounding of PVC ductwork a myth that will never die?

Many Kind Regards . . . Allen