Thread: Need a tool suggestion

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Need a tool suggestion

hi:

Yesterday my plumber/gasfitter guy installed a new gas range here. it replaced a 1992 (!) Jennair downdraft and had to go into the same slot in the countertop. As it turns out.. the granite people had cut the counter 1/7th too narrow (we sort of knew this, but the old range made it to 29 7/8th only on the part that sticks out above the counter and was 29 3/4th below that. This one is 29 7/8th all the way down. So I cut off 1/8th (crookedly) with an angle grinder and now it slides in.

However, the old range was 2" less deep (front to back) than the new one and so there is a strip of 2.5" wide granite across the back of the opening with the tile behind the counter coming down on top of it - and with that in place the new range juts out about 2" too far.

My grinder won't reach that close to the wall, but that strip needs to come out. To do it I need something that will cut 1.5 inches of granite and reach into the space..

I have a dremel multi-purpose tool (the one that shakes its head back and forth really fast) - this could work, except that dremel does not admit of a diamond blade for it - their wood/metal blades don't even scratch granite. There's a half circle tile cutting/removal blade but it won't reach.

Suggestions? (Dynamite is not an option; I tried drilling from underneath but the entire sheet vibrated and I stopped lest it crack. If I can find a long, thin, diamond drill bit I may try that again from the top so I'm pushing the sheet down o0n the plywood instead of lifting it up).)

CLARIFICATION: I added the photo after the initial replies - just to clarify: what I need to do is extend the cut near the wall made by the angle grinder in both depth and distance toward the wall. The granite extends about 1/2" under the tile and is 1.5" thick. That cut is full depth at the beginning but less than 1/4 at the end.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rudy de haas; 02-08-2017 at 1:23 PM. Reason: Added info after replies