Thread: Machining Steel as Part of a Tool Fabrication

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Machining Steel as Part of a Tool Fabrication

I want a parallel fence for a tool (Knapp sliding saw) that's no longer in manufacture. Brian Lamb makes an absolutely elegant beautiful version (including one with a very neatly integrated DRO) but it's priced higher than I felt was justified for my purposes. Plus I wanted one that more closely resembled the manufacturer's original design. I created the design in 2-D in Adobe Illustrator generating files that I used in Sketchup to generate the 3-D mockup. Both of those designs are shown below. Using the 2-D I generated a DXF file that I sent to several Waterjet Shops. The quotes came back in the $200 to $400 range ... again, more than I wanted to spend.

So this morning I took some 1/4" high-carbon steel plate I had lying around, punched the corners of the design, struck lines and chopped off the pieces I didn't want. I then drilled and tapped and bolted together the two plates which should be essentially identical. Square everything up and of course now I'm at the hardest part (green circle illustrating on 2-D drawing) where I need to cut the notch which will hold this on the rail. My plan had been to do this with a jigsaw and metal cutting blades. I'm not in a particular hurry. I was going to finish with files. I was hoping to avoid welding on the tabs though that would likely be easier.

The "bar" (and 8020 40mm square) is readily available inexpensively on Ebay.

Is there an easier way?

Not sure if this is the right section of the forum ... I'm sure the moderator will move if not.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 02-19-2017 at 11:20 AM. Reason: changed to reflect correct color on dwg
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius