Thread: Lie Nielsen Blades Not Staying Sharp

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lie Nielsen Blades Not Staying Sharp

Hi all,

I've been lurking for awhile but haven't got around to posting too much. I recently took the plunge and bought a few Lie Nielsen bench planes but am running into trouble with all three. I have zero difficulty getting them sharp and passing every test of sharpness I've came across (cutting arm hair, slicing paper, paring end grain, etc). Trouble is they are dull after very little use. I'll sharpen the blade, and get very fine shavings for several passes, and then the shavings stop. When I take apart the plane to inspect the blade, the edge is already rolled over. When i run my finger across the blade it feels very much so like a burr you'd feel when sharpening.

My sharpening routine is as follows:
    -jig set the blade at 35 degrees
    -800 grit, 1200 grit, 8000 grit with DMT diamond stones and remove burr on 8000 grit
    -strop and remove burr again on the strop

I have already tried grinding back far enough to remove my micro bevel and then rehoning hoping to get to better steel with no luck.

Immediately following this, the blade makes hair fall off my arm with no effort and slicing paper like it wasn't there. At this point I'm beyond frustrated and believe since its multiple blades I'm experienceing this with its something I am doing. My old stanley's didn't have this problem, should I be doing something different with A2? My old jack plane hasn't been sharpen nearly as often as it should but doesn't have a rolled over edge like my Lie Nielsen's after a minutes worth of use. I plan on calling Monday to see what they think, but am trying to find the answer in the mean time. Any help would be appreciated
    Last edited by Adam Chevalier; 03-25-2017 at 6:06 PM.