Hello all,

Questions on a pine patio roof I plan on starting here in the next couple of weeks.

I picked up @ 700 board foot of rough cut pine, and my plan was to machine it all down into 6” or 8” wide boards with a shiplap joint.

However, after seeing the boards, the wife is now thinking she likes the rough look, and just wants to put them up finish as is, many boards over 12” and 16” wide.

At minimum, I would straight line rip everything so I have square joints, but I would expect to still get shrinkage. Does anyone have experience with a rough pine ceiling with wide boards?

The dilemma I have is do you still cut a shiplap onto the boards, if you are installing a rough look, i.e. just a butt joint? I would worry that I would get some shrinkage which I am OK with that look, but then I don’t want to give wasps, bees and stink bugs a winter home sneaking into the gaps that might occur.

BTW,

If you are in the New Stanton/Norvelt area of PA, or within driving distance, I found this guy who has a boat load of wood, fairly reasonable, all air dried though.

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/for/6109380784.html