Thread: Please help me make my first table saw purchase

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Please help me make my first table saw purchase

I've recently taken up woodworking and would like to purchase my first table saw. I want to use it to build furniture (kitchen table and a few coffee tables to start). I can't see myself needing to cut anything thicker than 8/4. I've done a ton of research but I can't seem to make up my mind. I have narrowed it down to three choices (all prices in CAD as i'm in Canada):

1. Rigid R4512 / Delta 36-725 contractor saw for ~$800. If I get a good saw (no alignment or other issues) this should work out well but I worry about getting a lemon. I'm also worried that this might not have enough jam to cut 6/4 or 8/4 hardwood -- I've read that it's ok but that you just have to take it slow.
    2. Pick up an old Unisaw. This is nice in that I get a very powerful saw with a bullet proof design. I'm not a huge fan of the lack of safety features (riving knife) and the lack of a warranty. I've found a few but all of them needed varying degrees of work (fence, alignment, rust, belts, arbor, bearings). I could probably get into one for ~$1000 but that would definitely require some TLC. As an aside to this option - I found a guy locally who purchased a bunch of old unisaws from a trade school. The machines have 3 phase motors and need to be outfitted with a VFD in order to work with 220 1p. For $1650 he will provide a new blade, table insert, arbor nut and compression washer, sandblast w/ new paint, polished top, sawstop 36" t-glide fence system, lenze VFD and delivery w/ setup. I've seen some pictures of his work and it looks solid but $1650 is pretty steep for a used saw.
    3. General International 50-270KDL M1 -- this is on clearance at a local shop -- $2100 (floor model, assembled a few weeks ago but never run).

I guess I'm just looking for some advice. As someone that is just starting out, the choices are a little daunting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Steve Dublanko; 05-16-2017 at 11:02 PM.