Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bouis View Post
Bugs that got into the wood when it was green probably don't present a danger to the dry wood in your house. Generally speaking, bugs that eat hardwood don't eat softwood and vice versa. Likewise with bugs that attack wet wood vs dry wood. In fact, I don't think I personally have ever seen powderpost type beetles infest wood that was truly dry. I'm not saying they don't exist, but they aren't likely to come in with a piece of wet wood.
Unless I missed something, all we know about the type of insect in the wood is there are holes. A positive ID would be a big help here to assess the potential for spread.

From the link I gave earlier, "Various anobiid beetles attack seasoned wood in the United States. These beetles range in size from 1/32- to 3/8-inch long; however, those that attack structures are 1/8- to 1/4-inch long. " They mention anobiid powderpost beetles can infest hardwoods or softwoods.

Perhaps interesting: I once watched beetles land and start to dig into the end grain of some green wood. I was outside my garage cutting some maple logs into chunks and waxing the ends with anchorseal. The sweet smell from the wood was strong. I looked up to see a cloud of tiny insects flying towards me from the direction of the woods, I assume attracted by the smell. (It wasn't actually a "cloud" but it sure was a bunch, many dozens or hundreds.) They were tiny beetles and they started landing on the freshly cut end grain and digging holes, more than one on each piece - I was surprised at how quick they were to get holes started. (Were they digging holes to lay eggs?) The anchorseal didn't stop them. I ran and got some insecticide and sprayed the wood then put all the pieces inside and closed the garage door. If I had left the pieces outside all the pieces would probably have gotten infested, assuming they were some type of powderpost beetle. By the time I thought about collecting some for ID it was too late.

JKJ