Thread: Trotec Rotary Proportions Issues - Cone vs. Rim Drive Roller Mechanisms

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Trotec Rotary Proportions Issues - Cone vs. Rim Drive Roller Mechanisms

I am finally getting back to troubleshooting a problem I've been having engraving with my Trotec rotary accessory. I've read through the forums and while there have been others who have had issues with proportions I don't think it fits what's going on in my case.

While using the Trotec cone drive the proportions on my engravings are exactly as expected. Switching over to the rim drive all the proportions immediately get elongated in the Y-axis (laser side)/Horizontal as looking at the engraved surface (everything rotated 90° during rotary engraving).

The logo I'm engraving is this one:

IMG_8155.jpg

IMG_8157.jpg

You can see in the image the top engraving looks proportionally accurate 1.5"H x 1.5"W and this was done on the cone rotary drive. The image on the bottom is horizontally elongated 1.5"H x 2.125"W. All settings remained unchanged between the runs.

In an effort to at least manipulate the the elongated engraving I tried changing Job Control settings. I change the diameter from 2.75" to 10" and it actually didn't change the engraved proportions at all. The end result engraving was still 1.5"H x 2.125"W. I tried changing the rotation speed to 50%, but that didn't have any impact.

My thoughts are this has something to do with the drive gears. The cone drive belt (bottom pic) has one large gear while the roller (rim) drive employs two smaller gears (top pic) that replace the large gear used for the cone drive. This will obviously change the gear ratio if not compensated for, but the Trotec rotary accessory actually has micro switches that are engaged depending on which drive type you are using, cone or roller so the system should be able to compensate for the differences in gear ratio.

IMG_8158.jpg

Has anyone else experienced something similar to this with their Trotec rotary accessory?
    Last edited by Jeff Heinrichs; 05-21-2017 at 3:40 PM.
    Trotec Speedy 400 Flexx (120W-CO2/20W-Fiber ) w/pass through, rim drive and cone rotary accessories