I'm a relative novice to intermediate woodworker and have a couple drying questions. I've been researching here and am getting a little overwhelmed by the amount and variety of information. So please bear with me.

I just got some very inexpensive black walnut live edge slabs. Most are about 1" thick. They have been air dried thus far. I don't have a moisture meter yet but will be getting one soon. I plan to use them for small projects like cutting boards. I've read numerous posts on how to sticker them, etc. so my basic question is how dry is dry enough?

On a much more important question, I also have a 3" thick white oak slab I got about a year ago which I intend to make a bench out of. Also air dried. In my naivete, I brought it into my unfinished basement to store. I did not consider the possibility of bringing in insects. There are definitely small holes that to me, look like they may be insect damage. I believe they were there when i got the slab but I don't know if they have increased over time in my basement. In other words, I don't know if I brought live, wood insects into my basement.

So my questions are:

Should I be freaking out at my stupidity of bringing possibly infected would into my basement?
What should I do to both the white oak and black walnut if I want to air dry it in my basement to ensure that I don't put my home at risk?

I realize there's only so much an online forum can help in this situation but everyone here knows more about it than I do, so it's a start.

Thanks for the help.