I came into an early Stanley 605 1/2 in rough shape via a trade with a friend who owns a junk/antiques shop. The body has a major piece missing from the side and the lever cap is all but worthless, only about half left. The frog is undamaged, a little rust. It appears to have the original blade. The knob looks alright, the tote is split in half and missing the horn on top. So... thought of going two different routes. One is that I could buy another sole/plane body (passed on one last night on the bay for about $40) and another lever cap and make my own wooden hardware and have a very nice restored plane. Downside: to get a body and lever cap looks like it would cost nearly what a whole plane in user shape would. Should I just part it out or is it worth rebuilding? Also something to figure into the equation: I have a Bailey 5 1/2 (type 10) waiting to be cleaned up. Is there enough value in a restored bedrock to justify the expense of buying the parts? Ok, time for you opinions. And thanks.
bedrock.JPG