I posted a response on another forum about woodworking magazines, where no doubt my comments will get lost. I think that there is an idea here that is worth discussing. I hope that someone like Megan will comment. Even before I outline now what I wrote earlier, I recognise that an inherent problem is that magazines, hardcopy and on-line, may be a dying format. Further, publishing costs a lot, and budgets dictate the content of magazines these days. What I want may not be practical. Still, I also believe that this is up to the likes of you and I. If there is a demand, there could be a supply.

We all bought magazines when we were starting out. The trouble is that the magazines recycle the same topics every 7 years. Beginners became intermediates, and then more advanced woodworkers, and eventually there is nothing more to read.

I have subscriptions to FWW and PW. I flick through them in 5 minutes. Builds do not really interest me - they are set up for beginners, step-by-step, cut lists, etc. The magazine I still enjoy reading is Woodwork. I have all the copies on my iPad, which pleases my wife as there is no noise of pages turning as I read in bed. I enjoy the biographies and take a vicarious pleasure in their emerging skills and sense of design. I enjoy reading about designs and how they evolve. I prefer contemporary design to the 18th century. I find interest in seeing the original work of others. I would happily read about the influence of Eastern furniture or European design than more American Stickley and other Arts and Craft. There is just so much Shaker one can take (and I do like Shaker for its simple, pure lines).

I'd like to see advanced joinery, such as used by the Chinese and Japanese.

Essentially, I believe that there is a place for a magazine that caters for the intermediate to advanced woodworker. No, not Mortice and Tenon - that caters to the vintage era and vintage methods .... all good, but I am past that stage. I want blended, not just hand tools - I am very proficient with hand tools, but I recognise that restricting oneself here simply hamstrings oneself when it comes to building the designs in our heads.

I want articles written by experienced woodworkers, not those who are weekend warriors (there is another on-line magazine on the horizon and, in spite of the best intentions, unfortunately this is also written by weekend warriors). Many of the articles featuring in magazines seem to be by weekend warriors. Indeed, I know many of them, and I am convinced that many offer technical articles without the experience of actually building furniture. I have written for magazines over the years. A few years ago I stopped deliberately and decided that I did not want to me part of a magazine that featured me as a writer. I do not know enough. I am a good woodworker. But I am a weekend warrior. I am happy to post my trials and tribulations on forums and on my website. I have no pretensions about my ability or qualifications. I expect that anyone reading my stuff knows that I am just a weekend warrior.

FWW does have experienced writers, but they are writing for the beginners. What a waste! Other magazines, PW in recent times, feature bloggers and those prominent on forums. Some may enjoy their contributions, but they limit the value of the publication for me.

I'm not alone here. Others also feel that they are in no-man's land of magazines. I think that the accountants have decided that we are not where the income lies. Increasingly, there are more and more of us. Would an on-line magazine will reduce costs enough to make it viable when written by experienced professional woodworkers?

So who will write a magazine for the likes of me?

Regards from Perth

Derek