I do woodworking as a winter hobby and have a small shop. Everything I do inside the shop is for personal use. I've never really even considered doing stuff for profit because I would have to charge way too much in order to make a fair wage off my work, and most consumers can't tell the difference between a hand built solid table and a mass produced particle board one.

Anyway, I just started looking at CNC routers online and I can buy decently sized used ones for around $2,000, but I would probably still need to buy a computer program to draw the designs with. In high school I was trained on a CNC router and used it for three years, so I'm relatively familiar with the whole process.

I was thinking a CNC router could possibly make me good side money. I've never really looked too closely into the available markets, but if I can make things like custom cutting boards and signs, that alone would be easy money. If that market isn't there, I can consider taking on bigger projects like doll houses, guitars, clocks, which wouldn't be as easy, but would still make me something nice in return. A CNC router really sets you up with more precise custom items with a lot less skill and labor.

I'm not planning on quitting my full time job to do this, but if I can pull in like an extra $5,000 a year or so that would be sweet.