Calling all Texas woodworkers that have separate meters to their shops. I need some advice before I say something (else) that I'll regret.
I thought this was going to be SO GREAT when the property we bought had separate service to the shop building. I've got it wired and ready to turn on, so I called TXU to get some power. They are trying to tell me that if this is not a residence, it has to be a commercial account, therefore commercial rates. Does anyone have any different information about this? This is strictly a hobby shop. In fact the covenants for our edition prohibit building a separate building that is for people to live in. Is my only solution to upgrade the seveice entrance to the house to 400 amps, and run the shop off the house's meter? That would be a big expense I'd rather not get involved in, but over time might be cheaper than paying commercial rates. Any information anyone might have, please let me know. I might just call a different service provider to hook up the shop through them and see if they will bill it as residential. Thanks! Jim.