Gents,

My wife is in the process of selling her business and has promised me a couple of shop upgrades for the work I've put into it over the last several years. After much pondering I've decided to focus my shop time more on round wood than flat. I enjoy both, but my heart is really into the art of turning. I have really thought about upgrading my old Delta 12x48 to a new Grizzly G0766 so I can turn the occasional giant piece, but the more I think about it the more I think I don't really need a lathe that big ALL the time and would be plenty happy with an outboard attachment on a smaller lathe. Y'all mind pointing me toward a few different models that might suit me?

- budget is probably around $3k for machine and accessories.
- Right now this is just a hobby that pays for itself when I want it to. In 10-15 years maybe it will be more than that and maybe not. I tend to
donate or gift most of my work unless I need to fund a new tool or supplies.
- I insist on a quality machine, but I can diagnose, fix and maintain just about anything. I just don't want to be working on it all the time.
- shaft size doesn't matter, but with a 1"x8tpi I wouldn't have to re-buy chucks and faceplates
- shop is on a slab and I won't need the lathe to be mobile.
- I have plenty of space. Current lathe is against the wall, but the new one will be perpendicular to the wall and far enough away from it that I can
work from any side.
- I'm 6'2"
- variable speed is a must; reeves, knobs or buttons, I don't care. I just don't want to dork with belts to change speed. Combination of variable
speed and belt changes for speed range changes would be okay.
- must have outboard turning capability
- swing-away tailstock a big plus
- prefer 18" or bigger. I've turned a few sub-16" platters in the gap on my current lathe and know that I sometimes need them a little bigger.
- sliding headstock a must. Pivoting headstock might be nice, but not a deal-breaker.
- 220v is okay.
- digital RPM readout would be nice.
- Don't want to buy used unless a stellar deal comes up for something local. I want to break it in myself
- I turn some bowls, but prefer hollow forms. I intend to get into deep hollowing so I can do larger pieces. I rarely do spindles.

Thanks y'all!