Quote Originally Posted by Todd Stock View Post
Strop for carving tools, knives, and straight razors - either Warren's clean strop for stuff coming off a hard black arkansas or the Tormek stuff in a tube on the power strop for carving tools. Never on chisel or plane blades, where my preference is for the edge I get off the stone. I religiously stropped for decades before bagging it after moving from oil stones to diamond/waterstones back in the 1990's.
The Tormek stuff is really good. It's 0.5 um Al-Oxide IIRC, and appears to be very tightly graded, yielding results similar to what I get from tightly-spec'ed 0.5 um diamond pastes. I also have some 0.5 um Al-Oxide powder that I bought from an optics house a while back, and that works nicely.

As has been pointed out many times, the green stuff isn't actually 0.5 um as claimed, but IMO it's sufficient (for some definition thereof :-) for woodworking. I believe that George uses it, for example. I wouldn't use it after any stone finer than about 1.2 um (8000# on JIS scale) though, as it only makes the edge more jagged in my experience.