Thread: Delta/Rockwell 12 inch RAS question.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Delta/Rockwell 12 inch RAS question.

I have a Delta radial arm saw that I am fixing up. Everything works as it should except for the elevation crank.

I have not seen one of these in person before so I have a question to someone who has one.

There is about 3/4 of a turn of "slop" in the elevation crank adjustment. When I crank it up, the head does move up (it feels stiffer that I think it should). When I go to lower it, I can turn the elevation crank almost 3/4 of a turn before it starts moving the head down. The elevation mechanism is turning the vertical lead screw with NO slop. Its like the elevation lead screw has to pull the head down.

My previous RAS was a Craftsman and it seemed that there was no "slop" in the elevation crank. If I recall correctly, it seems that the weight of the head provided the downward movement of the head, not the lead screw pulling the head down.

This is an older saw that has seen limited usage so I am thinking that the column is not moving freely enough. Probably dried up grease. I put some kroil brand oil on the shaft to try to loosen it up. Didn't seem to help much.

So...... 3 questions.

1. Should there be any "slop" in the crank mechanism when changing from going one direction to the other?
    2. Should the lead screw be pulling the head down, or should gravity be providing the force?
    2. How hard is it to put the spring loaded pin back in the vertical column should I decide to remove the column? (that's the round disk with 3 bolts)

Anyone have a guard for this saw? I need to buy / make one.

Thanks,
    Frankie

Delta RAS.jpgRAS rear.jpg
    Last edited by Frankie Hunt; 08-27-2017 at 9:12 PM.
    Frankie

I have a great Border Collie, she just can't hold her licker!