Quote Originally Posted by John C Bush View Post
Hi Rick,

So my thoughts are: 1-get the cyclone outside the shop if possible, 2-consider 2hp for cost savings, 3-spend those savings on an auto gate system or get one anyway, 4-include a TS overarm DC guard in you duct layout. I have a SS as well, don't use a guard and get too much dust when doing fine trim cuts. Good luck shopping

Hey John thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated. As fate would have it, I decided to check out the local craigslist to see if anything was available before I took the plunge and picked up a ClearVue unit and amazingly there was a Oneida Dust Gorilla for sale. Ran on up to the seller this morning and picked it with some additional ducting, drum, vac line for the drum, misc other stuff thrown in. Should have it up on the wall tomorrow or sometime this week at the latest! Will report back with finished pictures when all done. Thanks to all for the guidance and ideas.

Sidenote, I see lots of folks suggest putting the unit in another room or another building but I see two problems with this. First, if you cool or heat your space you're effectively throwing money out the door with the DC sucking several thousand cubic feet of conditioned air out. Second, a balance of air into and out of the shop is required. Unless windows are open or you have some sort of louvered system to allow air in then you are creating a vacuum situation. In my case, I don't have another structure to put it in as this is already a stand-alone building on my property and it wouldn't be feasible to add another room and continue the tile roof line. Still curious as to what people think about the air balance/air conditioning scenarios. If you have a window or door open I get it but otherwise, I just don't see how it works and certainly not if you plan to heat or cool the space. I'm in Florida and the heat is pretty tough to work in during the summer and I don't think I'm doing my cast iron surfaces any favors if I'm dripping sweat on them.

The "new" unit sitting on the shop floor!

20171007_124843.jpg