Any suggestions for where I could find a replacement motor for my cheesy, 30-year-old Taiwanese 14 inch bandsaw? Or would it make more sense to just buy a new, better bandsaw?

I started woodworking with power tools but for the last 20 years I've been a 90% hand tool guy; no tablesaw etc. That said, I rely on my bandsaw for re-sawing (even though maximum re-saw depth is around 5") and any large-scale ripping. I am way too old and fat to do those sawing jobs by hand.

I freely confess I know literally nothing about stationary power tools. More specifically, my bandsaw in particular is a total mystery to me. It's by far the most finicky tool in my shop – I spend more time adjusting ball bearing guides, fence alignment etc. than actually sawing. All too often when I attempt to re-saw my carefully dimensioned and precious figured stock for book matched panels etc., ends up being a total waste as the blade dramatically tracks off-line, despite the fact I just realigned my shop built rip fence based on the line the blade tracks when free hand ripping.

For some context on my power tool ineptitude; I wouldn't even consider changing out the 3/4" wide re-saw blade for the narrow curve cutting blade because goodness knows that's pretty much a1/2 day project for me that has a 80% probability of producing a literally nonfunctional tool.

Sorry for my rambling Frustration.back to the problem at hand: after pretty lengthy reselling session, my motor stopped working. When I click the on switch I would hear a hum, but the motor doesn't turn. To be honest I'm not sure if my problem is the on/off switch, the motor or perhaps something else (do bandsaw's have a solenoid?).

If getting a replacement motor is an option my fellow Creekers think I should pursue, I would like to get the most powerful one I can that still runs on 110 current/volts or whatever the hell that is (in other words I don't want to have to rewire the power to get to 220) . I very much appreciate any advice and suggestions about what brand/model motor I should get in where I should look for it.

Alternatively, I would also appreciate opinions/suggestions about whether it makes more sense to just get a new, better bandsaw. If yes, again advice/suggestions about what to get are much appreciated!

I fully recognize that if the power tool world is anything like Neanderthal Haven, my question about "best bandsaw I should look for" is both incredibly naïve and completely subjective based on individual experience. My apologies if my question creates any angina. I'm happy to do the research – read magazines/tool guides etc., but I was hoping for some informed advice that would point me the right direction to save me some time.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration. I very much appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions.

All the best, Mike