Thread: The Roman Workbench - Tell Me What You Thunk

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Roman Workbench - Tell Me What You Thunk

Steven Newman started a thread on Roman workbenches back in February of this year, but instead of trying to revive an old thread that had spun down, I am making a new one.

The attraction of being archaic for the sake of being archaic is something I understand, having been involved in flintlock rifles and rendezvous for a long time with my kids, who are all grown up with their own families now. Much of that was frivolous, if educational, but much was practical too. After all, I can make meat with a .54 Roman Nose and a powder horn, and cut a steak with a rifleman's knife. And although the industrial world no longer uses many handtools beyond the hammer and wrench and screwdriver, and never handplanes, time permitting, handtools just do a better job most of the time. But I suspected Mr. Schwarz had allowed his penchant for living archaeology to run amok with his ancient workbench revival. Come on now, really, frescoes? After all, like buggy whips and bloodletting, some old tools and practices fell out of common-use for good reasons.

But Matt Lau started a thread last week about Japanese workbenches (used sitting on the floor) that got me thinking. I have used this tool for many years, and still do occasionally, but my old knees won't allow it for long anymore. While an ancient tool, it it still in common use in Japan not just because it is traditional, but because it is logical, simple, and economical in so many ways. Anyway, Matt's post had me thinking about them again as I rode the subway, when I saw a picture of Mr. Schwarz sitting on his reproduction Roman bench, and it occurred to me that it might be an effective alternative.

I have since looked at some Youtube videos as well.

The point of this post is that I am beginning to suspect Mr.Schwarz's Roman Workbench (RW) might just make a useful substitute for the Japanese workbench. With some improvements and accessories, it might even work almost as well as the standard Western workbench, especially for multi-story apartment dwellers or those with limited space, subject to some alternatives to staked legs. And its possibilities as a field workbench are intriguing.

Please help me think this through if you are interested.

BTW, I don't consider the archaic Roubo workbench as illustrated in the original texts to be an efficient alternative to the standard Western workbench, thank you kindly. Please don't go into a description of how you built your Western workbench. "There are other worlds than these."

I have never used a RW, but I tend to make lists, and the pros/cons I can imagine now are as follows.

Pros:
    1. RW easier on the knees than Japanese workbench. Maybe even easier than the standard Western workbench (?)
    For people that work in a garage or other space with a concrete floor, the RW elevates and helps keep the derrier warm and clean compared to Japanese workbench. That's nice.
    3. Cheaper than standard Western workbench (a lot). About equal to the Japanese version.
    4. Double-duty as a bench for seating company at Thanksgiving dinner, or in the mud room. Can't do that with either Western or Japanese workbenches.
    5. More portable and e
    asier to store, carry, relocate and take up the stairs than the standard Western workbench. Moreso IF the staked legs were replaced with removable, but still stable, legs. Hmmm. Need to give this one some more thought.
    Buttclamp (Pat Pending) or leg clamp easier to use, compared to standard Western workbench. Definitely easier for someone like me with bad knees. And I could keep one foot on the floor to stabilize.
    7. Could be made longer than Japanese workbench while still remaining useful.
    8. If the removable (foldable?) leg situation could be improved, the RW would be very convenient for jobsite use where it could double as sawhorse, workbench, and lunchtable. Maybe even a brief nap? If find this option very interesting.

Cons:
    1. No vises. Big disadvantage compared to standard Western workbench. Not so big compared to the Japanese workbench.
    2. T
    akes up as much floor space as a taller, more stable Western workbench with vise(s), and a lot more space than a Japanese workbench.
    3. More rock, rattle n' roll compared to both standard Western and Japanese workbenches. My weight might calm this down.
    4. Must bend over much further for planing the edges of boards (big con without a planing beam).
    Relatively heavy-weight compared to a Japanese workbench.
    6. Still much less portable and more difficult to store away than Japanese workbench (unless the legs could be easily removed).

I can't see anyway to avoid needing to combine it with a stool to save the back, since the RW is so low, as well as a planing beam to handle longer stuff. On the other hand, if the stool was the right height, and planing stops installed at the end, one could place the stool at the end and use it just like a Japanese workbench. Might need to brace the RW with a stake or something.... Hmmm

Another thing. When I go to the big woodpile in the sky, I suspect my Western workbenches will all end up on my kid's back porches as potting tables protecting spider eggs from the snow. Sigh . 諸行無常 My Japanese workbench will probably end up stuck behind a door somewhere for a few years before going to the landfill or the fireplace. But if I made the RW such that it would serve as furniture, and carved my name and a date on the underside, they might keep it around for a few generations. I would love to think that great grandkids might use it to learn how to walk, and even chew on its legs along with the dogs someday.

The onset of senility?

https://www.mortiseandtenonmag.com/b...le-of-contents
    Last edited by Stanley Covington; 10-19-2017 at 5:23 AM.