Hi Folks,

I'm about to build myself a nice new "ultimate" workbench. Maple butcher block top (80" x 36" x 2.5"), drawers and cupboards under etc. This is to supplement my existing bench which is a Sjoberg job - very nicely made but a bit bench top area limited for some of my projects.

I have a couple of very nice vises for the new bench and have spent an inordinate amount of time pondering the placement of them. I need help!

Every bench design I can find seems to have the front vise on the left hand end of the bench and the end vise on the right hand side. I'm not sure why, but that's how they all seem to be built.

FWIW, I'm right handed.

I have often found that the front vise is on the wrong end of the bench for me. I have even found myself standing at the back of the bench on the left side just so I can use a saw to cut off a piece of wood. Very awkward indeed.

So, does anyone know why benches are built like this? And, can anyone give me a good reason why I shouldn't build my new bench with the front vise on the right hand side and the end vise on the left hand end?

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Dave Fifield