There are a lot of posts on dust collection and piping but I am still wallowing on a decision.

System

My DC is a 10 year old 3hp, Craftex, twin 1 micron felt bags, 12" impeller, 6" main with a 3 x 4" adapter. The spec is 2200cfm however I measure 800-1000 at the 6” main with a cheap meter. Up to now I leave one 4” port open, one closed and the 3rd has a 4” vinyl flex pipe to a Veritas Cyclone lid on a Brute heavy duty plastic garbage can.

Changes I am making
I got rid of the Veritas and installed an Oneida Super Cyclone XL mounted on the Brute garbage can with a 1” wood lid. I have not done the piping yet. (Future full ducting throughout the whole shop is on my to-do list, item 147 I think LOL)

For now it will be very short and simple from DC to cyclone; from the 6” main of DC to cyclone about 9-10 ft including 3 elbows. I plan on re-attaching the Craftex 3x4” adapter to the Cyclone intake and run my well used 4” x 20ft vinyl flex from there to my tool(s). I might still need to keep one 4” port open so the Brute Can does not collapse (TBD).

Detail of piping DC to cyclone

I can purchase either 26ga 6” round housing duct (not spiral) or 6” pvc pipe, price difference for this small run is not important. I have metal adapters for the cyclone and DC for either option so no issue there. The part I am not clear on is air leakage at joints etc.….

Questions

For metal duct will I need to tape all metal joints including the elbow swivels (i.e aluminum tape) , favored option as it is not as permanent.

For pvc will I need to glue the joints? I don’t like the idea of permanent glue in case I need to tweak the install later.
You opinions would be much appreciated…. metal vs pvc for this DC to cyclone short run, assume 800-1000 cfm at cyclone.