Thread: live edge magnolia coffee table

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

live edge magnolia coffee table

Hello

I am a newbie when it comes to live edge coffee tables. I was able to get some magnolia wood that is 22"-24" wide 8/4 thickness(or 2" thick) and 11' long. I cut the board into 3 pieces to make coffee tables. Around 44" long all three The magnolia was milled over 25 years ago and cured by a friend that owns a sawmill.

Question1. I have not planned the wood yet but there are some other smaller pieces that have been planned ans sanded. looking on the internet also the magnolia seems to be lighter colored with a yellowish tint. The grains seems to be dense and straight. It looks great I attached pictures. the coffee tables will be Xmas gifts could u recommend an oil based stain and color that would make the magnolia wood look great. From my understanding magnolia wood 22" wide straight and over 8/4 or 2" thick is rare. I don't want to stain the wrong color and ruin a rare wood. I think it is rare because i cant find it in this size in many places on the net. And i dont want it to be a run of the mill internet garbage.

2. I plan on finishing with zar oil based polyurethane matte finish. My friends the tables are for don't want the high gloss look and after reading varnish type topcoat will need reapplications every few years not to mention the person that doesn't use a coaster and ruins the table. any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. As i stated i am a newbie I have read a lot on this forum and plain to sand using an orbital sander stepping up the grit amounts slowly and finishing by hand sanding. It will be a coffee table so besides drinks spilled i can see kids coloring etc on them

3. third question is HELP i am a newbie really dont want to screw this beautiful wodd up.I got the magnolia wood for a great price 200$ for whole board 11' long 22-24" wide and over 2' thick and figured it would be something different. the tree is from the mill property in south Carolina. as i stated it was milled 25-36 years ago and stacked properly according to wood man.

I have attached pics of one of the boards. It has not been planed Yet the one with color has been planned and sanded. Not that well i believe but the gentleman that did it said he didn't stain it.

thanks for any tips

Chris

IMG_1948.jpgIMG_1950.jpgIMG_1885.jpg
    Last edited by chris trainum; 11-07-2017 at 3:16 AM. Reason: clear up stuff