I picked up this Bridgewood on craigslist and have some gripes about the blade guides on that came stock on the machine. This is actually a Laguna made machine and the bones of the saw are all good. Stiff frame, nice motor, and the overall size is good. The blade guides are really not working for me however. I don't really care for the bearing style guides it has now, but could live with them. What's really throwing me is how much vertical space the upper guide and guard are taking up. It's almost 1/3 of the space between the table and frame. The Laguna saw we have at work has a much more compact setup. The result is really good resaw height from a relatively small saw. Has anyone dealt with this kind of issue before? An easy thing I could do right now is simple remove the blade guard for when I'm resawing wider boards. That would get me almost 2 more inches, but I still feel like the actual guide is really tall too. I've considered buying an aftermarket one and considered making one. Has anybody addressed this kind of issue on their own saw?

I don't need to resaw really board all that often so I'd be okay with reconfiguring the saw just for resawing. I've been thinking of trying this idea out.
resaw_guide.jpg
Here is a picture of my saw's upper assembly so you get an idea of what I'm talking about.
IMG_20171103_112930666_HDR (1).jpg
And our saw from work. You can see how much less vertical space the upper assembly takes.
IMG_20171104_102501978.jpg