Thread: Ugly but effective Dust Collector retrofit is completed

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ugly but effective Dust Collector retrofit is completed

Thanks to all for the suggestions on metal vs PVC (another thread).

I finally finished this “small” project which turned out to be a lot more work than planned (LOL). It looks ugly and awkward but it works slick as grease and is quick to service.

The Oneida super duty XL cyclone is now married to my 8 year old 3 HP dual bag cyclone with a Rubbermaid Brute dust chip container, all on wheels. The whole unit can be wheeled out of the corner for maintenance or I can just raise the cyclone with lid to empty the Brute container.

A couple of comments on the cyclone lifting; the duct has to be removed from the DC (note the bungee cords) and then the cyclone can be easily lifted with the 3 string bridle and lifting blocks. On the duct I left one swivel connection on one duct corner unsealed so it can pivot to allow the lift. The whole process takes 10 seconds to disconnect duct, lift cyclone and remove container; sweet ;-).

Two problems; the bag liner collapses inside the dust chip container and I am working on a solution. 2nd issue, the Brute garbage can collapses if I close two of the ports. I should have upgrade to a strong 45 gal plastic drum.

Readings, I get about 400cfm at the end of a 20 ft flex with a second port wide open (depends how i hold the meter)
    Attached Images Attached Images