Thread: Gifted a case which the top cupped, going to make one myself. How do I prevent this?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Gifted a case which the top cupped, going to make one myself. How do I prevent this?

Was gifted this gun case which is made of walnut. Sides are 1/2” and top is 1/4”. Going to be making my own as a gift for my father and was going to follow suit.

I’d like to know what I should do differently to prevent the cupping that is happening to this one. I’m not sure if maybe the moisture content from the walnut was too high when it was milled and assembled, or if it’s due to the way it’s built. The walnut I will be using has acclimated to my shop for over a year and is fine.

I know the grain is perpendicular for the side (since it’s dovetailed and dovetails don’t turn out so hot on non-end grain) compared to the top. But I figured since the top is only 1/4” that it wouldn’t have a ton of force when it expands since it’s thin. But I could be wrong?

Any thoughts or suggestions? I’m going to be dovetailing the sides together and will be sticking to the same board thicknesses for the sides and top.

Pics:

Last edited by Ian Scofield; 12-10-2017 at 5:30 PM.