Yes lots of hours but high quality ones being I was doing what I wanted to be doing not “had”
to be doing.

I will be happy to finally put this project behind me. My next “for me” project is five interior passage doors and jambs, four shoji, a built in chest of drawers and a fair amount of base and case. Styles are all cvgdf and panels drawer fronts and shoji are cvgayc. With maybe 12-16 available to me on weekends for the project I should be a busy guy many moths to come. All the doors will be shaker style no profile but mortise and tennon together. I have yet to decide if I will peg them and do some kind of mitered double tenon type joint or just a double mortise and tenon and glue.

Anyway I need this bench done so I can get the next thing.

As for drying if you look in the background of my pictures you will see I store my limber collection in the rough stickered for just the reason you suggest. On the other hand I always just sticker my stock as I’m working it down to dimension and never stand it on edge. The stock on my bench still has a fair way to go to final dimension and much of it was only jointed on one side so far.

I keep my home shop hospital steril. I tend to vacuume after any proceadure that creates even the slightest mess. As you well know a production shop is a dust pile. I get enough of that when I’m on the clock that I when on my own time it’s well worth the effort to be as cut free as possible.

Pictures bellow are all I have of the shop I work in on this computer and a small sample of a island I built a few months ago. I guess the photos make it look fairly tidy but I promise it’s a hell hole!

FE1AA200-6718-4487-A467-A4F020E3F876.jpg

BBD2EBDF-2558-4F05-85B0-5E8DC1E79AFB.jpg

F3939705-7820-4B01-B161-D9C0E21FBDA4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
That is a very nice bench. A lot of hours in that one for sure.
And there is nothing wrong with stout. One thing I hate myself about light benches is chasing them around while planing heavy on the top, or having it move in any way.

I am sure you know, but would like to point out for others, that the thin ash pieces laying perfectly flat on your bench should be stored on edge with space around if not going to be assembled into something within a couple hours.
Otherwise, you set yourself up for differential moisture content on both faces of the boards, and they will cup or twist before assembly.

Oh, and that space is way,way too clean and organized to be called a shop.