+1 on the grain direction in seats. Working a chair seat will definitely make one better at reading grain direction. The tapered curves in the seat can make figuring out which direction to work in quite difficult. Glued up seats, of course, can be just that much more complicated. I have tried several shaves and travishers. A small, sharp, shave comes in handy.

Talk about issues trying to prevent tear out. Kinda tough to set a close chip breaker if the tool does not have one. I got to use one of Claire’s/Galbert shaves at a course Pete taught at Highland Woodworking. They are very nice. I think part of the challenge in designing a shave or travisher for this work is getting a gradual curve at the mouth of the tool, leading to the blade. A gradual curve allows one to take small or larger shavings which is very helpful. Pete use to have a video on YouTube about how he designed his Travisher that illustrated the principal with a very old larger shave.

I have Elia’s shave. Mine takes a very small shaving and is not adjustable with the current mouth design. I have been procrastinating over sending it to Elia for adjustment or just doing it myself. Curtis Buchanan uses a coblers shave to get down into seats. I found one on that auction site that I am working on.

Brian, could you provide a link to the Japanese plane you mention, please.