Thread: DIY leg levelers, adjust with ratcheting wrench.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

DIY leg levelers, adjust with ratcheting wrench.

I needed 8 leg levelers for my miter saw stand/fence system. The problem with most levelers, they require an open end wrench to adjust, and its usually a very thin nut your trying to get the wrench on while standing on your head. This design has a 1/4” hex “milled” onto the top end of the threads.
    I used 3/8-16 x 3.5” long carrage bolts. I formed the hex with my “abrasive milling machine” (read belt grinder). I also ground the domed head of the carrage bolt flat, then drilled and tapped a 10-32 thread on the end to mount the pads I purchased off of ebay. The process of grinding the hex was to install a locknut 1/2” from the end, you keep the flat of the nut pressed flat against the makeshift table of the grinder, and just keep advancing to the next flat after grinding a little, periodically checking fit with a 1/4” box end wrench. I screwed the first one up, butthe next 8 I made had really good tolerances. I actually measured the lands on one for kicks, the three measurements fell in at .245” +/- .005. Not bad for grinding by hand!