I don't get the outrage. I've always assumed that pretty much everything I publish in the interweb is public and always will be-- I've found posts I made in the late '70's back when it was Arpanet and the recipe site at Stanford was the coolest new thing. Accordingly I only post things I don't mind having publicly known. FB's TOS pretty much says they will use your information for a very wide variety of things, making it very widely available. How can people be surprised? Much less outraged? FB is no different than any other interweb service, they traffic in information. Though the current management of SMC is benevolent I do not assume it will always be so-- once they sell out for a trillion dollars all the details of my woodworking habits will be widely available. I make sure I don't care, by not publishing anything here that I don't feel comfortable publishing to the world.

If you want to be reasonably secure use TOR and a VPN for browsing and public key encryption for your email, but if NSA or the Russians want to read it I bet they can. Best is to keep private things private.

I use and enjoy FB, I've become well acquainted with folks from around the world I might not otherwise have met. I have interactions on my various hobby interests that far surpass what was available to me previously. There are great FB groups on player pianos and old phonographs, for example, where the signal/noise ratio is very high compared even to the hobbiest print publications. I've reconnected with old friends and have active rekindled relationships on and off the computer. The price seems to be that ads can be targeted to me. Ad Block Pro eliminates about 95% of those so it doesn't seem such a big deal.