Hi guys,

Having gone through a recent bought of "tool acquisition sickness", I decided it would be wise, for insurance purposes, to list down my tools, and associated replacement costs, in a spreadsheet in case disaster ever strikes.

Now I'm not going to discuss specific amounts etc, but I was surprised by what I found.

I consider myself to be a typical "hybrid" woodworker. I use power tools when it makes sense and hand tools when it makes sense or when I just feel like it. I have the stationary and hand held power tools to do most things exclusively with power and same for hand tools.

Breaking it down into; Stationary Power Tools (bandsaw, table saw, cyclone, mortiser etc), Hand held power tools (routers, Domino, sanders etc), Hand Tools (planes, chisels, saws etc) and Other (clamps, drill bits etc) the % breakdown was as follows;

Stationary Power Tools - 32%
Hand Tools - 41%
Hand Held Power - 17%
Other - 10%

This does not include metalworking and pneumatic setup, just woodworking tools.

Basically I was shocked how much the hand tools added up and that total cost exceeded the other power categories.

I assume most hybrid woodworkers would have a bit more invested in power tools as a proportion (I thought I would too!). Just curious to know how much variance there is in hybrid woodworker breakdowns. Do you overwhelmingly have more invested one way or the other?

Cheers, Dom