Thread: advice - putting wood veneer on steel insulated garage door

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

advice - putting wood veneer on steel insulated garage door

my goal is to veneer a garage door w/cypress. Any big concerns with the approach. See pictures below but the current though is to put down about 20 6" x 21" x 1/4" vertical pieces down first. Glue these to the steel. I was planning on ship lapping them (sideways) with a 1/8" gap between then and a 1/4" overlap.

Then I was going to glue the other dominant pieces -- shown in a darker color in the pictures -- directly on top of these. These other pieces are roughly 8 x (length) x 1/2". ignore the line in between the two angled pieces...i just couldn't not figure out how to join them into a single piece with the free version of sketchup.

Questions

1) any big concerns? I know people clad doors in the field and i'd be surprised if they used a lot of fancy M&T joinery
    2) what type of glue? Seems like i'd want something with a little bit of give to it. Contact cement? Liquid Nails?...
    3) any concerns w/the 1/4" or 1/2" thickness of the major components. I'm trying to keep the wood as light as possible in order not to make the finished product too heavy.

Buying door like this cost about 4500/each vs. 800/each so i'm pretty motivated to make this work. I'm resawing the cypress for 4/4 rough cut wood and it's quick and easy. As you can see there are 5 sections to the doors and the lower 2 are 21" tall and the upper 3 are 18" tall.

Thanks and i'll let you know if/how it turns out,

Bob C
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob C