Thread: Walnut and Hickory bowl

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Walnut and Hickory bowl

<P>Yeah, it's me again.
    <P>Here are some shots of a Walnut and Hickory bowl I turned over the past couple of weeks.

<P>The bowl measures 10 3/4" OD x 4" high. The base measures 3 1/2" in diameter, while the walls are about 3/8" thick.

<P>This bowl started life out as a solid roughed out bowl which was air dried for about a year. It measured about 9" od x about 1 1/2" high.

<P>I turned it true about a month ago and let it acclimate to the shop. After a weeks time I trued it up again, and let it sit for a couple of days more. Upon inspection, I found it hadn't moved. I judged it ready.

<P>I had planned on adding alternating Maple and Walnut rings to it. But I decided that Hickory would make as nice a contrast as Maple. I also decided to add 1/8" thick spacers of contrasting wood to each ring. The first ring was Hickory with a Walnut spacer. The next was Walnut with Hickory spacers. You get the picture from there.

<P>On a tip from Wally Dickerman, I kept the topmost ring Walnut, with no contrasting spacers. I think this really helps to "frame out the piece".

<P>For some reason, when I dry sand Walnut, I don't get as nice a finish as when I wet sand. So this bowl was wet sanded with mineral oil to 1500 grit. I made sure to wipe off the excess mineral oil with mineral spirits before allowing this bowl to dry for a week.

<P>After that time, I applied a coat or two of Woodcraft's Urethane Oil and allowed this to cure for a couple of days. After which the bowl was then buffed with the Beall System.

<P>Thanks for viewing
    <p><font color="#000099"><b><i>See ya around,</font></b></i>
    <p><b><font color="#000066"><font size=+1>Dominic</font></font></b>
    Attached Images Attached Images