Hi all!

It's been a long time since I posted. :-)

I'm looking at the Grizzly G0513X2 bandsaws and have a few questions about the different brake options and the two different cast iron fences.

I've searched the forum, watched videos, and reviewed the Grizzly web site and manuals... and I *think* I understand the differences. I wanted to see if I could get some confirmation.

First, here's my understanding of the brake options...

G0513X2: No brake of any kind.

G0513X2F: Includes a physical brake that is actuated via a foot pedal. When pressed, the foot pedal shuts off the motor and utilizes a brake shoe on the lower wheel pulley to slow the blade. I'm assuming the time it takes to stop the blade is directly proportional to the amount of force applied to the foot pedal. This seems like a pretty good option if you're interested in both safety and production speed. Your hands can remain on the work pieces while you slow and stop the blade as quickly as you'd like with your foot.

G0513X2B: Includes a magnetic motor brake that is engaged when shutting down the machine via its switch. The brake stops the blade within about 3 seconds. This seems like a decent option if you're interested in production speed. I supposed it's safer than no brake, but you still need to take a hand off your work pieces to power off the machine.

G0513X2BF: Includes both a physical brake and magnetic motor brake. When momentarily and/or lightly pressed, the foot pedal shuts off the motor and the magnetic motor brake engages to stop the blade within about 3 seconds. When steady and/or more pressure is applied to the foot pedal, the motor is shut down, the magnetic motor brake engages to stop the blade within about 3 seconds, and the pedal also actuates a brake shoe on the lower wheel pulley to slow the blade. I suppose if you wanted to stop the blade more quickly than the motor brake, you could really stomp on the foot pedal. The benefits are similar to those of the G0513X2F with the added benefit of not having to rely solely on the pressure applied via the foot pedal to stop the blade. One could simply tap the foot pedal and wait up to 3 seconds for the blade to stop moving.

So... did I get all that right?

Now on to the fences...

G0513X2 and G0513X2F appear to have the same fence system. Looks like the fence rail is extruded aluminum and is fixed in place. This appears to be the same fence rail used on the G0513 and G0513ANV. The fence itself, however, is cast iron. The extruded aluminum resaw fence is included. By contrast, the fence included with the G0513 and G0513ANV is extruded aluminum rather than cast iron. And the extruded aluminum resaw fence isn't included with those saws.

G0513X2B and G0513X2BF appear to have the same fence system, which is slightly different than what is included with the G0513X2 and G0513X2F. Looks like the fence rail is perhaps square steel tube and isn't exactly fixed in place. Instead, it appears to be somewhat fixed in the center and drift-adjustable via knobs near the ends of the rail. The fence itself is cast iron and taller than the cast iron fence included with the G0513X2 and G0513X2F. The extruded aluminum resaw fence is included. This fence system, to me, doesn't look like much of an upgrade over the other option. In fact, it seems like it would be rather easy to knock it out of alignment.

Did I get all that right as well?

Thanks a ton!