Thread: Info on Tung Oil

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Info on Tung Oil

I am building the wood bed for an old pickup.
    I have oak ready to put a finish on. I believe it is red oak.
    I sanded it with 80 grit and then finished it off with 220.
    I want to use 100% tung oil but don't know much about it. SO I guess I need someone to tell me some about it.
    From some info I "read" you can put the first couple coats on with it thinned 1:1. (I assume with it thinned it will penetrate the wood better??)
    I have no clue if the tung oil will color the wood or how much. I assume the more coats = the more color. True??
    SO there you have it - that's pretty much the limit of my knowledge.

I want to use tung oil to avoid using any sealer that may chip / peel off later on in years to come forcing me to have to take the whole bed off and refinish it.
    I heard you can keep adding tung oil to put moisture back into the wood (as years go by) rather than having it dry out?? True??
    I'm working on making a street rod / show truck and want a super finish on the bed and something water proof.
    Also I was thinking about actually using some sort of sealer (instead of tung oil) on the bottom of the boards that will be exposed to water; mud; grime, etc. I thought maybe it might help prolong the life??

There you have it - feel free to correct any of my misconceptions and add any info I need.
    THANKS
    Last edited by Chris Townley; 02-11-2019 at 9:14 PM.