Hey all,

First time using pigmented precat and it's been a pita. I'm far from pro but I'd heard SW hi-bild precat was easy to work with and I've sprayed enough things successfully to be foolishly confident that I could use this stuff. Also, never sprayed opaque.

I'm sure part of this is gear, but initially I just could not get a good flow. I'm using a Fuji Semi Pro 2 with a 1.5 tip, air full blast. Once I had it thinned to 30% I was able to get it to coat pretty well, but it seems like this is probably much higher than it should be? Should I be going for an even larger tip?

Second and much more annoying issue, this stuff seems to corn instantly. Just sanding between coats, literally one drag across the surface and the sandpaper is pilled up and just shredding the finish with deeper scratches. I've used everything from 240 through 600 hoping to get a better result with no luck. Wet sanding only seemed to help slightly. Doesn't seem to be related to dry time as I've let it go for several days at times with the same results. With how much I've had the material thinned, it won't cover the scratches left behind by the scuff sanding. My understanding is precat requires sanding between coats, so in theory if I have to sand between each coat and a coat won't cover the scratches from scuff sanding, I'll be spraying this stuff for eternity which I really don't have time for.

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong? Laying it too thick? Too thin? Material too thin? Not thin enough?

Hoping somebody whose worked with it may have a magical answer to save my sanity.