A friend of mine just challenged me to design and build a modular dining room/kitchen table. She wants a table that is made up of 5 pieces as follows:

- a four foot square table
- a six foot x 4 foot rectangular table
- a ten foot x 4 foot rectangular table
- 2 half circle 2foot radius tables

The idea is that she could use the 6 footer as a kitchen table every day. The ten footer as an every day dining room table. The four footer as a card table in the basement and the two half circle tables agains a wall as side boards or something like that.

But, if her home changes or she has family over for a large dinner, she could assemble them all together into a single table 24 feet long (rounded on each end) that would sit up to 24 people).

She could also assemble them in other various configurations to get seating for anywhere from 4 people (two half rounds pushed together) all the way up to the 24 with everything.

So, my question...anyone ever seen anything like this? If so, any designs or pictures available?

Or, do you have any suggestions on how to design it? She wants to be sure the legs aren't a burden for people sitting at the table and wants to be sure any piece is stable as a stand alone unit or as an integrated unit.

Any thoughts?

Best,
Tim Q