I have a King (Delta 14" Taiwanese clone) bandsaw with the 6" riser, 3/4" 3TPI blade. It's adjusted, coplanar and usually does good job on smaller things like cutting dutchmen, cutting tenons etc. I adjust the blade tension until it's at the 3/4" mark on the "gauge", then check with finger pressure for the tension.
Last week I built a jig to hold some ~10" diam. logs steady while I sliced them into planks for a few projects. The wood is Red Alder, 23" long, and dried for the last year in my heated basement.
I sawed one face, turned it 90 deg, sawed a piece, and with those 2 flatish, began my slicing career.
No matter how slowly I think I'm feeding the wood, keeping pressure on the outside face of the wood, the blade seems to wander anywhere up to 1/8" within the cut.
I can hand-plane one side of the board flat (too big for the jointer), then run it through the planer, but I feel I'm doing something wrong.
This is my first try at sawing logs on the bandsaw, and I know almost everyone has more experience than me.
Can you suggest a wayto make straighter cuts, or is this a practice, practice thing?
Thanks