Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
Martin ( and most other ) shapers had ground tables so the rings were easier to make flush with the table. Flat is more critical when doing freehand work and not important when running a feeder and I would expect you will have the whole thing ground if needed. Are the quill bearings oil bath and is the pump mechanical or electric? I think Martin changed their lube system from the T21 to the T23. Joe or Darcy will know. The real beauty of those old shapers are inside the cabinet. The system to lubricate, the precision large bearings, and the large frame motor and guts to support all of it are impressive. Unlike new shapers, Martin hung the internals off a heavy base rather than relying on the cast iron top. New machines cheat on the base and save money by using the top as an anchor. Then they get a dip in the middle. Dave

Hmm I always thought the long grooves where what a planed table looked like and ground table had swirls like a scm table. So are you saying I have [QUOTE=David backwards.

I figure figured ground was Blanchard and when I googled Blanchard it looked to be a huge soiling disk and left me thinking it must be the machine used on Scmi hence the swirls.

Then at least what I thought to be large surface planing machine’s travel side to side or back and forth “whatever you choose to call it” and hence make those long straight Martin ribs.

These tables don’t have those ribs. They honestly have nothing and if anything some weird as swirl that’s not a swirl.

Machine has an electronic oil bath for quill bearings.

I would agree. I’m enamered by the inside of this machine or under the hood. I’d feel the same if the tables where at least flat although I agree with your summation that it probably does not matter.

Nobody hear me wrong I loooooove this machine. Ill do whatever need be to get it q00% operating perfect beyond my expectations and for way less than anew anything.