I still have all my fingers, toes, no knots on my head and I've learned a few things!

My first feeble spindle lesson on Saturday was, for the most part, a success! Using my patented diving board bench to mount my lathe, I managed to take square stock (2x2) and make round stock with long sweeping curves, etc. In doing so, I mangaged to use each of the tools I was so generously provided. It was a good lesson and with photo documentation got the "wolves" off my back for now!

Sunday, evening I managed to get into the shop for a couple of hours. I attempted to make a handle for one of the lathe tools. Both attempts were okay. The first attempt was going fine until I tried using the the 3/4 skew which was rapidly getting dull! You know what happened it caught and tore a large gouge out of the wood! I, also ran into a problem, getting the thing cut off. The 2nd attempt went better except that I had to learn 2 things.......1) the center I'm using in the tailstock makes it difficult to turn down to a small enough size with out hitting the center and........when turning sometimes more is less desireable.........a small turned line is more desireable on a handle than practicing your use of the 1/4" gouge or 3/8" skew to make an ring that is more turning and therefore more fun!

Lessons........sometimes:

Long sweeping curves are more desireable on handles

Using a skew can be fun and a good way to smooth things but it must be sharp!

All in all I spent 4 hours this weekend using the new lathe and tools. I can't wait to get back to it but I surely can't wait until that grinder arrives.

Work permitting (I've got an installation going on) I want to build a stand for the grinder this coming weekend.

I want to clean up the sawdust in the new shop and get back into completing it so I can spend more time turning in a well lighted shop!

Then build a permanent bench for the lathe!

Turning really is a kick!