So, I’m in the market for a lathe. I’ve turned on a lathe exactly 2 times in 46 yrs. First time was about 6 months ago at my local woodcraft where I turned a small bowl as part of a class. Second time was 2 weeks ago at my local base where I learned to turn a pen. It seems to be something I’m getting more and more interested in and I think it’s time to get a lathe. I’m looking at a midi sized lathe currently. The three lathes that I have in mind at WGT Jet 1221vs (that’s the lathe I’ve used both time), the Laguna 1216, Nova Comet 14DR, and the 12” turncrafter from PSI. They are all in the same -ish price range, so I’m looking at pros/me for each. Most likely, at least in the interim, I will just build a mobile cart for it, vs getting a stand. That may change in the future however. I’m not sure if I want the reverse feature on a lathe or not (didn’t use it in either class). Also, realistically, what size bowl can you turn on a 12/14 swing? The way in understand it is that is the sozed blank you start with, so a 12” blank could realistically get you a 10-11” bowl? I’m not too concerned about the length of the bed as I don’t (at least at this time) anticipate turning long spindles, peppermills, baseball bats, etc...just bowls, players, pens, etc...

I am really unsure about having to change belts over for different speeds, as I just “turned the dial up on the Jet 1221vs that I’ve used. So some insight there would be appreciated as well.

Anyone with recommendations not listed in the 4 above?

Anyone have any issues with the 4 listed above?

Anything I’m not thinking about? I know everyone says the lathe is the cheap part of turning and I’m ok with that. Tools, chucks, blanks, pen kits, etc are another “budgeted” item that is not taken into consideration with the above 4 lathes.

I did some searching for this question, but it was all over the map, so if there is a direct link to similar posts, you can point me there and I’ll be just fine...

Thanks!
Kevin