Thread: Music Stand ideas

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Music Stand ideas

I'm not sure how quick I'll actually get this built - but I have been sketching and thinking about building a music stand (or two) for my daughter and LOML.

I have seen http://www.misterstandman.com/ and he has some very nice stands, and the basic design is something that I can handle. I don't do the spinny thing and don't have bandsaw, so straight lines are better than curved for me.

In particular I was looking at a design something like: http://www.misterstandman.com/colm34.jpg

I have 2 questions - one is more design and another is more construction technique.

The first is - I have some cherry, some black walnut, a board or two of mahogony, and lots of red oak. I would like to do a mostly clear type finish - no stain, just oil and sealer I think. So, what combinations do you think would look good for the rails, stiles, bars?

The second is - How thin can I make the material for the rails, stiles, bars, and yet be hopeful that when it is knocked over it won't shatter, but yet not be 3/4" thick and really heavy. This is for an 11 year-old with a 9 year old brother - it's a question of when, not if it gets knocked over. I was thinking 5/16" or maybe 3/8" .

The question that goes with that - is how do I join the parts together then? 1/4" dowels? Mortise and tenon? FF biscuits? Something else???

I don't have a mortiser, but I could rent one from the woodworkers guild - but a 1/4" wide mortise would leave very little material on either side. The FF buiscuits would limit how narrow the bars can be (about 1 1/4" I think) I also wonder about the strength.
    Last edited by Dan Oelke; 02-13-2006 at 3:20 PM.