I put in a Byrd Shelix head in my DW 735 this weekend... got the OEM version, so I had to take off all of the cutters and put them back on after installation... process went fairly well (other than forgetting to put back a washer and having to take half of it apart again to fix that...) and was installing the cutters with a torque wrench as instructions noted... problem was that I assumed that it was 40 ft/lb, but after about 6 cutters, I thought that things were pretty tight... then I re-read the instructions and found it said 40 IN/LBS... ugh... so I tried to undo the cutters, and got 5 of them loose... the 6th wouldn't come loose, and I ended stripping the T25 head on the bolt... ugh again... I redid the other bolts with hand tightening, and got all of the rest installed, and the planer works great... amazing finish, much quieter, and on the finish setting pine comes out with a glass smooth finish...

So my problem is what to do with the one cutter... is there a good way to get the bolt out and replaced with a new one...? I was thinking of getting one of the screw extractors from HD and seeing if that works with a socket wrench, but I don't want to mess things up more than it is now... I also was thinking that I could just leave it in there forever, as I don't use the planer that often, and most guys seem to get a year out of a cutter edge... and one dull cutter in the next few years might not even be noticeable with the spiral cutters...

Thoughts...?

JH