Thread: Tasks, uses, differences between assembly and work tables

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tasks, uses, differences between assembly and work tables

Seemed simple enough. Tried googling assembly vs work table, didn't seem to find definitions of either just people trying to make outfeed work tables, outfeed assembly tables, assembly/work tables, or all 3-1.

So can you please share characteristics of each a work table and assembly table? Which should have vises, dog holes (is that what the 20mm and 3/4" holes are called?
    What do people traditionally use each for? What tasks? What materials do you make the tops out of?

Here's what I think I know. Assembly tables should be flat, that's why many do torsion box style tops.

Don't get glue on MDF.

People don't generally want to bang on their assembly table, because that can make it less flat.

That's about all I know.

For general home/auto stuff my idea of a work bench was a 18-24" deep sturdy place to bang on, clamp stuff in a metal vise to grind/weld/bend, typically made out of cheap 2x4, butcher block, metal, plywood or hardboard for the tops.

My father's and unfortunately my workbench is where stuff gets piled up for weeks/montha/years to die because the wall behind it stops stuff from falling off the backside. I hope when I get a dedicated shop back into my life, I won't let the clutter continue. Everything has a place, in its place.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 07-15-2020 at 9:36 AM.