Thread: Oscillating Multi-tools: What do you have? What's good? What's bad?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Oscillating Multi-tools: What do you have? What's good? What's bad?

Question: Which oscillating multi-tool(s) do you have and what do you like and not like about it?

Background:
    I am looking to replace an older Fein Multimaster with the hex key post to hold the blades. I keep having to buy replacement posts because the hex hole wears out, and even when the post is new it takes a lot of force to hold the blades in place and my wife just can't do it.

We're using the multi-tool a lot right now doing renovations, but when we're done with that it will sit for months, so I don't want to spend a mint on it, but I need something relatively reliable.

I bought the new Bauer from HF to get us by. I liked it, generally - reasonably powerful, tool-less blade change, soft start, 6-speed, but right out of the box it had a problem. After the first few seconds it would stop oscillating. Something in the drive mechanism, I guess. We got a replacement, but while I was doing that a bystander said that he was on his second one. The cutter would just flop around loosely like the drive was completely broken. I have a little under 90 days to return it.

So, I started my research, and after watching the only real head-to-head test and review that I could find on YouTube (which is two years old), I thought I wanted the Dremel MM45. Then I learned that the attachment mount only works with Dremel and Imperial One-Fit. Other aftermarket blades don't work because the head on the mounting post is too small.

For what we do and no more than we use it, those two blade brands are expensive, and I live in a tool desert. We have a HF, and a poorly stocked sLowe's, so having a tool with limited attachment options isn't good. Right now they have very little select in Dremel brand and no one around here has Imperial.

So, I am looking for a reasonably reliable brand with easy, tool-less attachment change, that will accept most aftermarket attachments, and inexpensive as possible.
    Last edited by Charles Wiggins; 09-16-2020 at 11:30 AM.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey