Picked up a few Sergents on CL for cheap cheap, got them tuned up and scary sharp. Wanting to learn how to live the Neanderthal lifestyle so I'm just messing around with scrap wood, smoothing and jointing. Smoothing and flattening is no problem with the 409. My problem is with technique on jointing anything from 6-48" long. Clamp it up in the vice, I'm getting paper-thin shavings across the entire width (3/4), but no matter how careful I am, how I hold the planer, how slow or fast I go, I always manage to take what was once an edge 90 deg to the face and skew it, by many degrees, to the left or the right. It can be either direction. I'm clearly not doing something right, or the 1,323,312 videos I've watched on hand jointing left out a secret key detail (Lee Valley marketing? Buy their 500$ jointer then it will work?). I can repeat this on S4S lumber fresh off the shelf at wood craft, or what just came off the saw mill. Yes the blade is perfectly parallel to the sole. Unfortunately Covid cancelled the numerous hand plane classes that are normally offered in my area until there's a vaccine, and there's now a years long wait list to get back in those classes, apparently I'm not the only one that picked up some CL hand planes during the covid shutdown.