Interesting that no one pointed out the obvious. California, notorious for rolling black outs, is now going to mandate more stuff to be plugged into their over tax power grid.

The two issues I have with electric cars are:
1. Range. The only car that is remotely feasible for me is a Tesla. They are the only one that has the range to get me to and from some of my customer sites. The others don't have the range, and the few customers that have chargers are for employees only.
2. Cost. There is NO WAY and electric car will cost me less on ownership than my Nissan Altima (last car) or Honda Accord (current car). Both were/are 10 years old and 250k miles. Looking at cost of repairs, besides brakes and tires, the Altima got a steering rack and tie rod ends, CV axle, two belts and 8 spark plugs and 3 crank position sensors. Approximate total $585. The Honda Accord has gotten a timing rebuild due to design flaws mostly (timing chain, tension, guides, VTC actuator and solenoid) for a total cost of $800. What else for the Accord, oh yeah, nothing. Let's just call it an $1k for 250k miles. That $0.004 per mile. Think I can get 250k out of a Tesla, or any other electric car? I doubt it and I'm not willing to take the chance.

Both of those cars are standard transmision. Why? Reliability. When I shopping for the Accord, I asked at the Nissan dealer. I asked if the automatics were as reliable. "Absolutely" the salesman replied. So I challenged him. Include a $0 deductible, lifetime, nontransferrable warranty on the crate transmission and you have a sale. "We can't do that" he replied. My response "Well then I guess they aren't as reliable are they?" That ended the conversation. I purchased the standard transmission Accord. Npth cars were/are 250K miles on the original clutch and no maintenance to the transmissions.