Having recently retired, I'm hoping this is one of several pieces I can show as I build some furniture for our new retirement home, once I get my shop set up, that is. This is a piece I did a few months ago, so I could give it to the plumbers and trim guys to install. There were several firsts for me on this project. First time working with a big natural edge slab, first original design and first time making a mockup.

As I was sketching some designs on paper to go over with the boss and her designer, the idea of a natural edge piece came up, so natural edge it was. After looking at lots of ideas on line, we finally chose a slab of Mappa burl. I will need to design some other pieces to use the rest of it. After agreeing on a design on paper, I built a full size mock-up out of construction pine, scrap plywood and mdf. Very glad that I did, since we made several changes, included making the legs a little smaller, creating a floating top and curving the aprons.

The walnut is some walnut I've had for almost 20 years, purchased from a fellow Creeker. It was too nice to pass up, and I knew I would eventually find a project. Finish is General Finishes Endurovar.

Vanity 2.jpgVanity 1.jpg

Not a lot of room, but here it is in place. The back splash was originally to be a long piece of natural edge, but I cut the slab in the wrong order, so didn't have a long enough single piece. So, inspired by all the live edge/epoxy tables on the web, I used several small pieces with an epoxy pour. My wife likes it better than the planned one so all is well that ends well!

Vanity 4.jpg