Thread: Blade selection for Combination plane

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Blade selection for Combination plane

Hello,

I am soliciting advice for a good starter selection of blades for a soon to be purchased Veritas Combination plane. I’m slowly converting from electrons to human power and am finally ready to take up the task of jointery by hand. Therefore, I’m looking for a good first selection of blades to tackle most joinery applications. While I may eventually dive into decorative elements (beads, coves, reeding etc.), I will buy those blades on a as-needed basis. I mainly build casework and tables, I’ve also been known to make a jewelry box or two, and I will be tackling a bench build soon. While I wish I could afford all the blades that Veritas sells, I don’t have the funds to do so.

So far, I’m thinking of the following blades:
    1/8” (for the grove portion of tongue and groove for 3/8” stock)
    1/4” straight blade (for the groove portion of tongue and groove for 3/8” stock, and drawer bottoms)
    1/2” straight blade (dado/groove housing for 1/2” stock)
    3/4” straight blade (dado/groove housing for 3/4” stock)
    Rabbet blade
    1/8” tongue blade
    1/4” tongue blade

Are there any other blades I am missing or ones you would leave out?

I know that this plane accepts Stanley 45/55 blades, and I’ve been looking for a set of those on eBay, but given the auction prices I have seen lately, I’m not sure if it is worth the time and risk. Thoughts? Of course, if anyone has a box of 45 blades around, that they would like to part with, please let me know.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Andrew Nemeth; 01-30-2021 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Removing “A” inserted before each ‘ and “